The Cincinnati Reds ended weeks of speculation by signing Bryan Price to a three-year contract as manager. In spite of all the rumors flying around about various people considered for the job, only Price and Louisville Bats manager, Jim Riggleman had been on a short list.
Price, 51, was announced as the team’s new manager on Tuesday at a news conference at Great American Ball Park. He begins his managerial career after being the Reds pitching coach for four years. He is given credit for the turnaround in the pitching staff the last couple of years. He takes over for Dusty Baker who was fired after the Reds early exit in the playoffs this season, Including the one playoff game, the Reds had lost six consecutive games to end the season. Baker had been the skipper of the Reds for six years.
Reds president and CEO, Bob Castellini said,
“Bryan is exceptional and we’ve been with him long enough
to know how exceptional he is…he also can communicate very,
very well and he knows the game and he loves the Reds.
And if we hadn’t kept him here, he would have gone elsewhere, I’m sure.”
When asked what he thought about Price, right-fielder Jay Bruce said,
“He’s prepared. He’s as prepared as any person I’ve ever seen,
professionally or even not professionally.” Bruce also said,
“I think Bryan’s going to be great…
I respect him as a person and I imagine the people he brings in
will be of the same level of
preparation and he’ll expect and demand the same things that he does.”
There are mixed reactions by fans on the social media platforms. Some are cautious, some are happy and some think it is a mistake. Welcome to the top Mr. Price.